As all we know, data on iPhone is important for us, especially contacts, SMS and photos. It is necessary to make a backup regularly in case of data loss. Previously you need to connect your iOS device to computer with USB cable by iTunes. A new backup way-iCloud backup was introduced when iOS 5 came out. In general, now we can use iTunes or iCloud to back up our iPhone, iPad and iPod. Which one is better? Here I am talking about it.
Backing up to iCloud
When you start using iCloud service, Apple provides you 5GB of free cloud storage space. The advantage of iCloud Backup is that you can back up your iOS devices wirelessly and automatically without connecting your device to a computer. So this way is easy and convenient.
1. When you should use iCloud backup
- You have no Mac or PC.
- You want to make a backup automatically when your device is connected with WiFi.
- Recovering lost iPhone data anywhere.
- You don’t connect your iOS device to a Mac or PC very frequently.
2. What can be stored by iCloud? Here is the list:
- Contacts, SMS, iMessages
- Bookmarks, Calendars,Notes.
- Device setting
- iCloud Photo Library beta (if enabled).
- Shared photo streams and My Photo Stream.
- Documents you save in iCloud using iOS apps and Mac apps.
Note: iCloud won’t back up the video, music, and TV shows that you didn’t purchase from the iTunes Store
3. How to make an iCloud backup for your iOS device? It is very easy. Just three steps:
- Keep your iOS device connected to Wi-Fi and plugged into the charger(Or make sure iPhone has enough power).
- Tap Settings > iCloud > Backup.
- Tap iCloud Backup to turn it on.
- Tap Back Up Now.
Backing up to iTunes
Some people sync their iPhone data to iTunes regularly, because they think making a backup with iTunes is easy, and much quicker than iCloud. That’s how it goes. The data is synced over the USB cable with high speed.
1. You can use iTunes Backup in these situations:
You own a computer and use it frequently.
You want on-site backups.
You have no Apple ID.
You would like a manual or secondary backup solution to use together with iCloud Backup.
2. How to make an iTunes backup?
- First, you should connect the iOS device to the computer (Mac or PC) with a USB cable.
- Second, open iTunes. Choose File > Devices > Back up.
Note: Make sure your computer has the latest version of iTunes
Please notice that iTunes Backup doesn’t create a duplicate backup of your movies, music, podcasts, and apps. When you back up, your media content is synced from your primary computer using iTunes.
Using both together is the best choice
So which one is better? There is no exact answer. It is best to use both iCloud and iTunes backup. Take advantage of iCloud backup’s ease and reliability, and make an iTunes backup for your iOS device once a week or a month. If you want to recover iPhone (iPad, iPod) data, just use them.